Saturday, May 06, 2006

dirty talk

One if the first things I noticed about London was the usage of the work fuck. People say it on the street, on the bus, in polite conversation, and at the pub. Little kids say it. Parents say it TO THEIR LITTLE KIDS. See how shocked I am! Every time I would hear it, my head would snap around to see who'd dropped the f-bomb. And I then realized that no one else was shocked. I was alone. And I couldn't bring myself to say it-- ten years as a summer camp director will do that to you... I couldn't even bring myself to WRITE it; I felt I was living on the edge just sending IMs containing the version 'f*ck'.
Yeah well apparently it's a slippery slope. I find myself using the f-bomb in polite conversation, on the bus, and in the pub (although I will never say it to little kids... that river runs too deep). And I have further realized that I enjoy saying it more than anyone else... in a sneaky kind of way. For the Brits, fuck is just a word. Their answer to the American 'darn' or 'crap'. But for ME? For me it is NAUGHTY. I am being a REBEL. Those of you who know me know what a coup this is-- and it's this very point which makes saying the word fuck such a feel good experience for me. It is like this little secret that I have with myself. I don't have to smoke, or binge-drink, I can just fucking swear... and no one else knows I'm swearing!
Baby steps people, work with me here.
So if anyone wants to cross the street without looking both ways, run with scissors, or turn in a paper without a staple, I'm your girl!

BISAs:
I am writing an essay this weekend and, thus, have only left the flat for grocerys. So I thought today's contribution to the collection would be pretty fucking lame. But I came up with one of my favorite new pop culture references, and he's American to balance out the posting.

"it's not about the bike"

I use this one all the time-- replace 'bike' with whatever.
"it's not about Peru"
"it's not about the mountain"
"it's not about the snails"
"it's not about ME"

No comments: